Home Of The Hounds Kennel Questionnaire
1. Have you ever had a dog before? Yes No If so, what type(s) of dog? ____________________________________.
How long did you have them, and if you no longer have a dog, why?_______________________________________________
2. Are there children in the family? Yes No How many?______ What ages? _______________________________.
3. What kind of home do you live in : House Apartment Condo Other ____________________________,
4. Do you rent your home? Yes No Landlord Must allow dogs! Do you own your home? Yes No
5. How long at this residents? ____________.
6. Where will the dog be kept? Mainly indoors In at night/ Out during the day Outside all the time
7. Do you have a fenced yard? Yes No Please describe: ________________________________________________
8. Do you have other pets Yes No if so please state what: _______________________________________________.
9. Do you plan to have your puppy attend obedience training? Yes No What kind? ___________________________.
10. Please check box if planning to: Show your puppy? Do Competitions? Breed?
11. What is the main reason for getting a beagle at this time? _____________________________________________________
12. On an average, how many hours a day would your puppy be left alone.__________________________________________.
13. Do you need shipping? Yes No Preference for airport_______________________________________________.
14. Do you want a : Male Female Unsure What Litter?_______________________________________________.
15. How did you hear about us?_______________________________________________________________________________.
Please be aware and/or willing to learn about the cost involved in veterinary care, including annual shots, spaying/neutering, purchasing a good quality dog food, boarding the dog when you are away, license fees, etc. Please understand, you are taking on the responsibility of other living creature who will, for the rest of its life, be dependent upon you. Feel free to ask me any questions you may have.
Phone # ( ) _______-______________ Email_____________________________________________________
If mailing, please mail to : Mechelle Dutton 10365 N. Hauser Lake Rd. Hauser Idaho 83854
If you are interested in buying a puppy from us, please fill out the questionnaire, either send it e-mail, or send it in the snail-mail.
If you have any problems Please e-mail me at:firstname.lastname@example.org
Click on house to go back to home page.
Some people want to know why it costs so much to buy from a breeder, this is our experience.
We work hard to make sure any new breeding stock coming from some other source is genetic free from some of the problems like, Factor V11, which is a bleeding disorder and Musladin-Lueke Syndrome (MLS) which is Chinese Beagle syndrome. Once they are cleared, we do the brucellosis test plus a Blood test. To do all the tests is over $400.00 per dog. Beagles brought here for breeding must pass all tests before they are considered for breeding stock.
When we buy a new breeding Beagle, we look very hard to find a Beagle with great family history and preferably CH. in Field and/or Show. A Beagle like this to buy is between $1,500.00 to $2,000.00 each. We do all the testing with the new beagle and if all goes well, we will have a new dog for breeding :) Sometimes our new prospective breeder doesn't work out and we get a family pet, or we find Him / Her another home. The other factor that goes into our costs is listed below, we do our best to raise our beagles and puppies like family and there is a great cost even before the new families receive their new family member.
This is a list of supplies and what it takes for me to bring an average year of 15 Beagles to their new families at 8 weeks of age.
$25.00 office supplies (For Year)
$120.00 website (For Year)
$350.00 electricity & water. (For Year)
$1,400.00 food, medical, grooming & home supplies for 4 breeders (for year.)
$735.00 first shots and health exam by Vet. for average of 15 puppies.
$10.00 de-worming 15 puppies.
$500.00 cleaning supplies like paper towels, bleach cleaner, rubber gloves, puppy pads, bleach, garbage bags, etc. 15 puppies.
$50.00 towel washing with laundry soap & bleach. 15 puppies.
$150.00 towels. 15 puppies.
$25.00 puppy washing, trimming and grooming. 15 puppies.
$350.00 puppy food. 15 puppies.
$60.00 toys. 15 puppies.
$200.00 training books. 15 puppies.
$150.00 collar & leads. 15 puppies.
$75.00 litter registration 15 puppies.
Totaling $4,200.00, divided by an average of 15 puppies per year and raised for the customer to receive at 8 weeks of age ($280.00 each). When I have more puppies, cost will come down, costing me more like $250.00 per puppy, when we have less it affects our income for tending to our beagles.
Our average annual profit income is around $10,000.00, We put 25% our profit, about $2,500.00 towards running the kennel, medical for our beagles and improvements to our kennel. There are times when we have a large Vet medical bill, due to one of our babies becoming sick….. That of course will come out of my profit.
“Double J Ranch” receives 2% of our left over puppy annual sale profit ( averaging about $150.00 a year.) Christine Justus is the owner there at the ranch. Christine's mission is To rescue, re-home or offer sanctuary to special needs dogs in jeopardy of euthanasia. She offers hospice care as an alternative to euthanasia for dogs at multiple shelters, and educates the public about the importance of spay/neuter, unethical breeding practices, and what wonderful pets animals with special needs are. 100% of our rescue dog purchases go to “Double J Ranch”, my time with the rescue beagles are because I love beagles and I want all beagles to have a happy home.
With everything said and done, we make around 7,350.00 profit for the year. It averages about 1,140 hours a year, to take care of all the Beagles and the kennel. I spend extra time with the delivering Mother and coming puppies, that usually is 24 hours per litter. Depending on Mother and puppies health, I spend the first three or four days, for at least 4 hours or more a day diligently monitoring her and the puppies.
With the unexpected expenses (which always happens) and if we have the projected income of the 15 puppies for the year, we make around $6.00 per hour for a P/T job averaging 23 hours a week. With this estimated income, we make about $600.00 per month.
I’m not making the money people think that I’m making. A great breeder never makes a living income with their dogs, it’s just the love they have for the breed.
I’m now retired from work and loving the fact that
I can be with my beagles all day.
Cost of a puppy from “Home Of The Hounds Kennel”
Running our kennel, takes us a little more than $2,000.00 a year.
We are always improving our Beagles lives, so it dose cost more than that per year.
In 2015/2016 we put in around $6,000.00 of our beagle’s savings to build a shop for them.
From 2017 though 2019, we worked on finishing the inside of the shop, which cost about $2,000.00.
In 2020 we have done the final touches in the shop and we are now able to use it at full capacity for our Beagles!