Home Of The Hounds Kennel Questionnaire
1. Have you ever had a dog before? Yes No If so, what type(s) of dog? ____________________________________.
How long did you have them, and if you no longer have a dog, why?_______________________________________________
2. Are there children in the family? Yes No How many?______ What ages? _______________________________.
3. What kind of home do you live in : House Apartment Condo Other ____________________________,
4. Do you rent your home? Yes No Landlord Must allow dogs! Do you own your home? Yes No
5. How long at this residents? ____________.
6. Where will the dog be kept? Mainly indoors In at night/ Out during the day Outside all the time
7. Do you have a fenced yard? Yes No Please describe: ________________________________________________
8. Do you have other pets Yes No if so please state what: _______________________________________________.
9. Do you plan to have your puppy attend obedience training? Yes No What kind? ___________________________.
10. Please check box if planning to: Show your puppy? Do Competitions? Breed?
11. What is the main reason for getting a beagle at this time? _____________________________________________________
12. On an average, how many hours a day would your puppy be left alone.__________________________________________.
13. Do you need shipping? Yes No Preference for airport_______________________________________________.
14. Do you want a : Male Female Unsure What Litter?_______________________________________________.
15. How did you hear about us?_______________________________________________________________________________.
Please be aware and/or willing to learn about the cost involved in veterinary care, including annual shots, spaying/neutering, purchasing a good quality dog food, boarding the dog when you are away, license fees, etc. Please understand, you are taking on the responsibility of other living creature who will, for the rest of its life, be dependent upon you. Feel free to ask me any questions you may have.
Phone # ( ) _______-______________ Email_____________________________________________________
If mailing, please mail to : Mechelle Dutton 10365 N. Hauser Lake Rd. Hauser Idaho 83854
If you are interested in buying a puppy from us, please fill out the questionnaire, either send it e-mail, or send it in the snail-mail.
If you have any problems Please e-mail me at:email@example.com
Click on house to go back to home page.
Some people want to know why it costs so much to buy from a breeder, this is our experience. We work hard to make sure any new breeding stock coming from some other source are genetic free from some of the problems, like, Factor V11, which is a bleeding disorder and Musladin-Lueke Syndrome (MLS) which is Chinese Beagle syndrome. To do the two tests, its over $200.00 per dog. We also do Blood/Urine evaluations and Brucellosis testing which cost about the same, and before they are considered for breeding stock. When we buy a new breeding Beagle, we look very hard to find a Beagle with great family history with CH. in Field and/or Show. A Beagle like this to buy is between $1,200.00 to $1,800.00 each, then we do all the testing and if all goes well, we will have a new dog for breeding :) sometimes it doesn't work out and we get a family pet, or we find Him/Her another home. The other factor that goes into our costs is listed below, we do our best to raise these puppies like family and there is a great cost even before the new families receive their puppy.
This is a list of supplies, and what it takes for me to bring an average litter of 5 Beagles to their new families at 8 weeks of age.
This is “Per litter of 5”
$25.00 office supplies
$150.00 electricity & water.
$700.00 food, medical, grooming and home supplies for two the parents for the year.
$245.00 first shots and health exam by Vet. for all 5 puppies.
$300.00 cleaning supplies like paper towels, bleach cleaner, rubber gloves, puppy pads, garbage bags etc.
$20.00 towel washing.
$15.00 puppy washing, trimming and grooming.
$160.00 puppy food.
$65.00 training books.
$75.00 collar & leads.
$35.00 litter registration
Totaling $2,000.00, divided by an average of 5 puppies a litter, and raised for the customer to receive at 8 weeks of age. ($400.00 each) When I have more puppies and/or more litters, cost comes down, costing me more like $375.00 per puppy.
“Double J Ranch” receives 5% of our puppy sale profit ( averaging about $450.00 a year.) Christine Justus is the owner there at the ranch. Christine's mission is To rescue, re-home or offer sanctuary to special needs dogs in jeopardy of euthanasia. She offers hospice care as an alternative to euthanasia for dogs at multiple shelters, and educates the public about the importance of spay/neuter, unethical breeding practices, and what wonderful pets animals with special needs are. 100% of our rescue dog purchases go to “Double J Ranch”.
We put around 45% of are left over profit, averaging about $3,850.00 towards running our kennel. Our actual income is around $4,700.00, which makes us a little less than $400.00 per month, that would make us working around $2.25 per hour for a F/T job, not the money people think lol.
This is all if we have 15 puppies for that year.
Cost of a puppy from “Home Of The Hounds Kennel”
Without any medical emergences, it runs us around $3,000.00 a year to feed and care for our 6 Beagles.
We are always improving our Beagles lives, so it dose cost more than that per year. In 2015/2016 we put in around $10,00.00 to build a shop for them. In 2019, we just about finished the inside of the shop, which cost about $4,000.00. In 2020 we will get the final touches done in the shop, and we will be able to use it at full capacity for our Beagles!